Monday, February 27, 2012

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

On February 21, 2012 I forever changed my life and anatomy. I elected to have the vertical sleeve gastrectomy in order to create a tool at my permanent disposal to aid in my weight loss. While performing the procedure, my surgeon found a sizable hiatal hernia that he repaired with mesh.
What is a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy?
What is a Hiatal Hernia?
So far so good, I'm not hungry at all. I am getting 64+ oz of water in a day and am no longer super sore-tender, but not sore. Wednesday of this week I will go to the surgeon for a one week follow up and if all looks good I will be cleared to add protein shakes to my diet. Currently I have been allowed only clear liquids (water, sugar free non carbonated drinks, sugar free jello, decaf tea, decaf coffee, sugar free Popsicles, and broth) I've watched my family eat some of my favorite foods and did not bat an eyelash. This is truly amazing to me.
Sleeping the first few days was interesting as I hate sleeping on my back and couldn't get comfortable sleeping on my sides. Day 6 I woke up feeling great. No muscle soreness or gas pains.
I'm so thankful to God and my surgeon for making this surgery possible. One thing many people forget is this is just a tool. I still have control over what goes in my mouth and whether I exercise or not. I can only ingest smaller quantities at one time.

No comments: