Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My New Lifestyle

What is a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy you ask? Well, it is going to be the tool that helps save my life! It is a weight loss surgery procedure that works by restricting the amount of food you can consume in a sitting as opposed to a Gastric Bypass where the stomach is reduced to a pouch and the intestines are re-routed.

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy information here.

After years of research and my insurance finally paying for the procedure, I found a local surgeon and scheduled an appointment. I am so glad I found Dr Ahuja at New Life Weight Loss Center. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for him and his staff.

I have battled my weight for the past 15 years or so and after yet another failed diet attempt, I have decided to go with weight loss surgery. While not the magic bullet or cure-all, this procedure will finally give me a permanent tool to use in order to get the weight off and keep it off.

This is definitely not the easy way out, I will still have to watch what I eat and exercise and my 'tool' will have to be maintained by limiting my portions. I will always have to take vitamins and always deal with the emotions connected to my weight.

Being overweight, for me, has been like a growing onion. Now that I've matured I have a protective outer layer that can keep out a lot (not all) of external contaminates. I am able to use it like a shield to hide behind. Each pound I take off exposes yet another layer and with each layer comes more emotions. Most people aren't fat by coincidence. I have used mine as a way to keep people out, as a buffer between me and society. As I get to a new weight, I start thinking about the last time I was at that weight and of course it brings a flood of emotions with it. The trick is learning to deal with the emotional aspects, learning from them and moving on. Where I have always failed before was the fear of removing my armor. NEVER AGAIN! I will never have to experience those things that got me where I am now, so I have nothing to fear.

I've decided to live my life and love every moment of it. I want to teach my children that emotions don't have to control every aspect of life. It's possible to deal with emotions with things other than food.

1 comment:

Stephanie B. said...

You know, I never thought of it that way - as a buffer between me and the world...but I think you're right. :/