Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Denial and Food Addiction

While watching the fabulous Dr. Oz today, a topic was brought up that was both familiar yet shocking. Four guests are significantly (I'd definitely say morbidly) obese and love it. Yes friends, I said they LOVE their size, their body, their food, their admirers-all of it. They even argued with the fabulous Dr. about the fact that they are healthy. One even wanted to become the largest woman in America.

*SHUDDER*

To think of how hard I have worked to a) accept me for me both at my largest and now at my smallest b) work hard to regain and maintain my health. Their defense was they have fans in the form of feeders and feeding fetishes. A few of the guests actually made a living with their sizes and the fetishes. But at what cost?

They said they weren't unhappy, they said they loved themselves, they said they were healthy. Yet after talking, two of them decided they needed a change. Addiction is a crazy ride especially when it is on Denial River.

By far food is a drug for many people. Unfortunately it is one that is readily available and socially acceptable not to mention necessary for survival. Sadly, it is a fine line between acceptable and outrageous. Whether a person chronically over eats or binges occasionally there are too many people that have been conditioned to turn to food. The Clean Plate Club; Dessert is your Reward; No Food is your Punishment; Have some Food, you'll feel better are all a few of my biggest pet peeves, and also help lead to eating disorders.

As a teen I felt the only thing I controlled was my food, so I ended up never eating or binge eating. As I got older that turned into attention from boys. Then when the attention from boys/men became out of my control, I went right back to food. Food and I had a love/hate relationship. I loved to eat it and hated to pass it up. I made myself ugly and undesirable so no one would want to bother me. Long story short, my Prince Charming in Camo Armor changed my thoughts on love so I decided to give up my barricade of fat. Dealing with the emotions that came along as I shed each pound was enough to break anyone, but I've persevered. I hope to be a beacon to even just one person, to show them they don't have to settle for what they have. Everyone is worth it, everyone deserves to be happy and healthy and loved.

Moral of the story today is Food does not love you back, but you can love you and there are plenty of people out there that will love and accept you.

No comments: